Tuesday, December 2, 2014

HOT CORN DIP

I had this about a year ago at a potluck with my friends back in Arizona and Dan loved it so much he made me get the recipe (although it is originally from the FoodNetwork website). I have made it twice since living in Dallas and it has been a HUGE hit both times. The recipe says to use fresh corn. I have never done this (too much effort). The girl that gave me the recipe told me that she uses this frozen roasted corn from Trader Joes. I have used this once and the other time I just used regular frozen corn. I just get it out and let it thaw before I use it. Chopping everything up is the hardest part - the rest is easy and quick. Tastes great.

                                   

Ingredients:
2 TBS butter
3 1/2 c corn kernels (from 4 ears fresh corn)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 c finely chopped yellow onions (this freaks me out since I hate onions - I use about half this much and chop them VERY fine. I also add a little onion flakes)
1/2 c finely chopped red bell peppers
1/4 c chopped green onions (green and white parts)
1 jalepeno. seeded and minced
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 to 1 c mayonnaise (I use close to 1/2)
4 ounces monterey jock or cheddar, shredded
4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1/4 tsp cayenne
tortilla chips for dipping

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt 1 TBS of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels turn deep golden brown, about 5 mins. Transfer to a bowl. Melt the remaining TBS of butter in the skillet. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted, about 2 mins. Add the green onions, jalapeno, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 2 mins, or until the vegetables are softened. Transfer to the bowl with the corn. Add the mayonnaise, 1/2 of the monterey jack and half of the cheddar, and the cayenne and mix well. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake until bubble and golden brown, 10-12 mis. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment